Bring it on, Trumpsters.
As Fox News’ Neil Cavuto was reminded last week, even if you happen to support most of what President Donald Trump does or believes in, if you have the audacity to question anything about him or his approach, you will immediately be pilloried, personally attacked, and targeted as a Liberal.
I am prepared for the name calling. In fact, let me get a head start on it…I’m old, fat and bald. I’m clearly a Libtard because I support Gay marriage and I married a black woman. Given my relative success and wealth, I’m clearly part of the mainstream establishment because that’s the only way to succeed in America (never-mind that that’s exactly how Trump became a billionaire…but I digress).
In Cavuto’s case, he correctly pointed out that trump creates almost all of his own problems with his stupid mouth. For those of you capable of stepping back and letting go of your ideology, imagine, if you will, the following:
- A booming American economy with jobs aplenty for the first time in 2 decades
- An imminent summit with North Korea focused on ending its nuclear ambitions and perhaps with an eye towards a “one Korea” solution (something everyone said was impossible when Reagan went down the same road with East and West Germany).
- A soaring stock market, increasing the personal retirement wealth of more than half of America who hold stocks in their 401K’s and IRA’s.
- An exploding housing market across the nation
- ISIS off the front page; while we have not, in any way “defeated,” ISIS, they are scrambling and nowhere near the threat they were 2 years ago.
Not a bad list…lots more to be done, for sure…and yet, almost all of it soiled, obfuscated, and ignored because the President just can’t stop saying stunningly stupid crap.
I am convinced that President Trump is some sort of Idiot Savant, or, perhaps, falls somewhere on the autism spectrum, but because of the time in which he was raised, and his ensuing stubborn arrogance, was never properly diagnosed. He shows signs of brilliance, offset by stupidity unmatched. The guy might be a true titan were he properly medicated.
One of my favorite yarns of the Trumpsters is that he is a “great communicator.” This claim is based in the idea that he talks like the rest of America, which is supposed to be a good thing. We’ve truly reached a new low when we describe greatness as the ability to be as dumb as the lowest common denominator. That’s not elitism, that’s honest evaluation. One does not have to use big words and confusing ideas to communicate with the American people; but that doesn’t mean that the only way to connect is to be abjectly stupid.
Last week, Trump gave a speech to the NRA and it was a doozy. His fans ate it up and savored it. And it was as awful as those of us who are objective could imagine it would be. His message, if you could find it, was great; his delivery was beyond foolish and embarrassing. Here are the highlights, verbatim:
- Speaking about the NRA: “These are real patriots, they really are, and they don’t get the kind of adulation. But really, they do and we know that.”
So, wait. Do they get adulation? Or no?
- “Your Second Amendment rights are under siege, but they will never, ever be under siege as long as I’m your president.”
How can the Second Amendment be simultaneously “under siege” and “never, ever” be under siege when he is president?
- “You know, people don’t realize, we have great love going on in this country, great love. It’s right here. We have … and — and by the way, you just saw the recent poll?
To be clear: This is not edited text. Trump really went from talking about the love in the room to his poll numbers. Seriously.
- “I hope we have long memories, but I hope we don’t have to worry about it because we’re going to be there a long time. So we won’t have to worry about that.”
So, we should worry? Or no? Sort of?
- “I’m doing the right thing. I’m doing it for you, but we’re doing the right thing. We’re doing the right thing together.”
I’m doing the right thing. You’re doing the right thing. He’s doing the right thing. She’s doing the right thing. We’re all doing the right thing.
Idiocracy the movie. Watch it.